Saturday, January 2, 2016

Review: Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy #2) by Wendy Higgins


Published: April 30, 2013 by HarperTeen
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
Goodreads Summary

Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things.

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?

"Here on the island we were a group. If they caught us, we were all dead. I vowed to take down as many as I could before that happened."


Swords of Righteousness


This one was even better than the first. I love the turn that Sweet Peril took for this series. Anna and Kaidan aren't together in the beginning of the book and instead Anna finds herself with her human friends and the Nephilim friends that Kai introduced her to. Her dad puts her on a journey with Kope who is a seriously sweet Neph who has feelings for Anna. They are going around the world in search of allies. I loved the travel to other countries and the many other Neph introduced. Higgins absolutely has a way of making characters so lovable. Even with so many different personalities, every character has a place in the story and so much depth and back-story.

Anna has grown so much from the first book. She's not nearly as naive, and she's been working on her skills. Girl can kick some major butt now and frankly her knife throwing skills are a great touch. What makes it even better is she's this little short Southern girl that no one would expect to be a threat of any kind.

The plot just keeps getting more interesting! I don't want to give anything away, so just suffice it to say that things get turned up in this one and the fear for these characters is real. I can't wait to see how Higgins plans to wrap this all up.

Evil Whispers


It was really hard to read about how Anna just couldn't let Kaidan go. The time in Sweet Peril by the end spans a year and a half since the end of Sweet Evil. Anna is still pining after Kai months after she's seen him last and every time she runs into him he tells her there's no chance for them. And every time she says she's done, and clearly her heart isn't. The problem isn't in the fact that her heart won't let him go, but I can't fathom how she can stand to continue to persue him when he's very adamant that they won't work. I promise if a guy tells me he's done, no matter how hard my heart might protest, I will not be the one actively seeking him out.

Far and Away


Back to Kai. Man, Anna definitely has it bad for him, and truly who can blame her? He's that good-looking drummer in a band with a London accent that every girl wants, and he treats her so sweetly other than the fact that he just won't be with her. Things definitely get deep in this one and Kai comes back around in the second half of the book.


The Bonds are Formed


I'm really loving this series. The angel/demon lore is a lot of fun and definitely unique. The plot is very interesting, and all the characters are amazing. There is solid growth in the characters and the action and story-line gets more entertaining as time goes on. Definitely recommended.

Excerpts

I promised myself I'd never do the work of my demon father - polluting souls - leading humans to abuse their bodies with drugs and alcohol. I'd been naive to make such a vow. I'd been naive about a lot of things.

I lifted my hand to the spot under my chin. It was still wet and sensitive but healing fast. Adrenaline kept me from feeling anything. I looked down at the spots of blood on my shirt. That was probably going to get me some unwanted attention during the walk back to the hotel.

Zania was an expert at taking small, seemingly innocent gestures and packing them full of meaning.

"No offense to your friend, Anna, but human girls always take love for granted. They want things to be wild and carefree all the time. And when it gets too comfortable or requires a little work, they just toss it off. I'd give anything to be loved by a guy like Jay. But I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side, right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!